Most gadgets and technology require software or an operating system to talk to the hardware and give it instructions to function. Software also enables the user to interact with a device and control it. When a product is initially launched it will have been comprehensively planned, programmed and tested to work as the inventor, company or organisation intended.
However, it is only when a product is in the public domain that the process of development can begin proper. Live feedback from customers on user issues, security threats, quirks, bugs, problems and suggested improvements can be collated. Programmers can then use this information to adapt the code and evolve the product.
Support is generally provided by a team for the life cycle of a product and takes the form of updates pushed to the user via the internet.
Updates are really important because:
- They solve problems with the software. No software is perfect and runs smoothly all of the time;
- They can solve security holes in the software. These holes, in theory, need to be plugged from allowing unwanted visitors to get into your devices to access personal data;
- They provide new features and benefits to make the products you use smarter, with better functionality.
A failure to keep on top of updates can mean your devices aren’t current, are not performing at the optimum level and may also be at risk of threats. There are some simple actions to put this right:
- Start with your mobile phone, computer, tablet and television. These are almost certainly connected to the internet and will have the ability to update. Find the option to update in your system settings and complete;
- On the same devices think about applications or Apps. These will require updating separately from the main operating system. This action will be carried out in the App store or App area on the device;
- Now think about other devices such as games consoles, watches, blu ray players, TV boxes, smart-tech, MP3 players, TV sticks, cameras and speakers. It may be a bit trickier to find the option to update on the device itself. If it isn’t in the system settings menu, then try through an App;
- Take advantage of any settings that allow for automatic updates. You won’t have to remember to do it this way;
- Put a date in your calendar each month to check all your products for updates and make it happen.
Software updates will keep your devices current, faster, fresher and safer for longer and is essential for care and protection of your products.
Review your gadgets and tech today - you may be surprised.